Tuscany 1856 4 fiorini
The first specimen was lot 32915 in Heritage sale 3040 (Chicago, April 2015), where it sold for $851.88. The catalog description noted, "Tuscany. Leopold II 4 Fiorini 1856 MS63 PCGS. Beautiful blue gray toning. Common in lower grades, very scarce this choice." The second specimen was lot 31099 in Heritage sale 3049 (Long Beach, September 2016), where it sold for $940. The catalog description noted, "Tuscany. Leopold II 4 Fiorini (Francescone) 1856 MS63 NGC. Bold for the issue, with argent-white centers and mottled champagne tone that layers the fields and collects at the legends. The bust of Leopold II is extremely sharp, with all details deeply impressed and surrounded by an intense amount of satin luster that cartwheels around the features. The reverse is equally engaging, with the crowned arms motif intricately styled and retaining highpoint frost. Minimal handling throughout the open expanses is significantly downplayed and likely the only thing keeping this coin from a finer designation." This type, struck 1845-48 and 1856-59, superseded a similar coin with a younger bust of the duke (KM C75a) struck 1833-41. A francescone, equivalent to the old piastra or tallero, was worth four fiorini or ten paoli. In the 1850's, Tuscany was ruled by a Hapsburg prince, Leopold II.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.5 g, .916 fine silver, .809 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: Pagani 119, Dav-160, KM C75b.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage Signature Auction 3040, featuring the Santa Maria, the Alan Dean and the Valley View Life Collections, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2015.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World Coin Auction 3049, featuring the Ohio Valley Collection, the Redwood Collection and the F.P. Briand Collection, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2016.