Tuscany 1793 francescone Dav-1521
This specimen was lot 40650 in Ponterio sale 168 (Philadelphia, August 2012), where it sold for $1,762. The catalog description noted, "ITALY. Tuscany. Francescone (10 Paoli), 1793. Pisa Mint. NGC MS-63. Toned, lustrous." This type was struck 1791-1801; this date is rare. The francescone replaced the earlier tollero in 1747 and was so named to honor Francis of Lorraine, Holy Roman Emperor and husband of Maria Theresia.
Recorded mintage: unknown but rare.
Specification: 27.5 g, .917 fine silver.
Catalog reference: Dav-1521; C-37; Gig-25; Mont-131.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Davenport, John S., European Crowns, 1700-1800, 2nd Ed., London: Spink & Son, 1964.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 168: The Official ANA Auction, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2012.