Tierra Caliente 1813 1/2 real KM-243
This specimen was lot 4096 in Stack's-Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2015), where it sold for $246.75. The catalog description noted, "MEXICO. War of Independence. Oaxaca. Insurgent Emergency Coinage. Tierra Caliente. 1/2 Real, 1813. Very scarce issue. Lovely chocolate brown patina. Well struck with good centering." After the Spanish captured and executed Miguel Hidalgo, leadership of the rebels passed to José Maria Morelos. This coin and other SUD pieces were issued under his authority, to be redeemed in gold or silver upon the success of the revolution. Instead, he was captured and executed in his turn and they were never redeemed. The eight real copper pieces are common but this type is scarce, even in low grade.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Catalog reference: KM-243.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Ponterio, Richard, The January 2015 NYINC Auction: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Featuring the John W. Adams and Ray Czabor Collections, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2014.
- 1813-MO ¼ real
- 1813-MO ½ real
- Oaxaca 1813 1/2 real KM-220.2 Morelos SUD
- Oaxaca 1813 1/2 real KM-221 Morelos
- Congreso Americano (1813) real
- 1813-D real
- 1813-MO real
- Oaxaca 1813 real KM-223
- (1813) ½ real, Osorno c/m
- (1813) real, Osorno c/m
- Puebla 1813 real issued by Osorno in Zacatlan
- Chilpancingo (1813-15) 2 reales KM-257.2 c/m on a cast 2 reales
- 1813-MO JJ 2 reales
- 1813-MO TH 2 reales
- Mexico 1813 2 reales KM-212 Supreme National Congress
- Mexico 1813 4 reales KM-214 Supreme National Congress
- Chilpancingo (1813-15) 4 reales c/m on a cast 4 reales
- Chilpancingo (1813-15) 8 reales KM-258.3 c/m on a cast 8 reales
- 1813-CA 8 reales
- 1813-GA 8 reales
- 1813-MO HJ 8 reales
- 1813-MO JJ 8 reales
- 1813-GA 8 escudos
- Coins and currency dated 1813
- return to Mexican colonial coinage, 1536-1822