Spain 1868 10 escudos (68)
The first specimen was lot 2134 in the Eliasberg sale, where it sold for $299. The catalog description noted, "1868 10 escudos. Madrid mint. MS-62 (NGC). Draped laureated bust to left, legends and date around/crowned and draped arms, legends and value around. Bright and lustrous medium gold. From the John H. Clapp Collection; Clapp estate to Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., 1942." The second specimen was lot 4432 in Goldberg sale 69 (Los Angeles, May, 2012), where it sold for $529. The catalog description  noted, "Spain. 10 Escudos, 1868 (68) (Madrid). Isabel II. Draped laureate head left. Brilliant Uncirculated." The fourth specimen was lot 12272 in Ponterio sale 169 (Baltimore, November 2012), where it sold for $258. The catalog description noted, "SPAIN. 10 Escudos, 1868. 3.56 gms. Isabella II (1833-1868). Types of Fr-332; KM-616.2. Contemporary circulating counterfeit in gilt platinum. Much of the gold wash has worn away, revealing the platinum from which this coin was made. CHOICE VERY FINE. From the Estate of Michael K. Ringo." The early coinage of Spain is familiar: 8 reales = 1 peso; 2 pesos = 1 escudo. During the Napoleonic period, the real was devalued such that one peso = 20 reales de vellon. This was reformed in 1850 and again in 1864. This gold 10 escudos, struck 1865-73 at Madrid (six pointed star), Seville (seven pointed star) and Barcelona (eight pointed star), replaced a 100 reales struck 1850-64 to a virtually identical standard. Queen Isabella was deposed in 1868 and a short-lived republic established.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 8.39 g, .900 fine gold, .242 troy oz AGW; this specimen: 8.45 grams, 22.20 mm.
Catalog reference: Fr-336, C&C-19890, KM 636.1.
- Bruce, Colin R., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 5th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2006.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Kraljevich, John, John Pack, Elizabeth O. Piper and Frank Van Valen, The Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., Collection of World Gold Coins and Medals, Wolfboro, NH: American Numismatic Rarities, 2005.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, Stephen Harvey and Paul Rynearson, Goldberg sale 69: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Ancient and World Coins, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2012.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 169: The November 2012 Baltimore Auction, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers, LLC, 2012.