Spain 1777-M PJ 8 escudos
This Spanish equivalent of the doubloon was struck at the Madrid and Seville mints 1772-84. Unlike the Latin American mints which concentrated on eight escudos, the most common Spanish gold coins of the period were the half escudo and two escudos. Spanish eight escudos are very rare. The bust type was introduced to the Spanish mints in 1729. This specimen was lot 30628 in Heritage sale 3042 (Long Beach, September 2015), where it sold for $3,055. The catalog description noted, "Charles III gold 8 Escudos 1777 M-PJ AU58 NGC, Madrid mint. A fantastic example from this elusive series featuring the highly-detailed bust of Charles III with minimal high-point wear and a few marks due to light handling. With all the dates of this issue regarded as 'Rare' or higher in the Onza reference, this nearly-uncirculated specimen is a worthy representative of the type."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .901 fine gold, .784 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 409.1, Cal-56, Onza-720.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World Coin Auction 3042, featuring the Read and Bob Bennett Collections, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2015.
- 1776-M 8 escudos
- Chile 1777-So DA 8 escudos
- Colombia 1777-P SF 8 escudos
- Mexico 1777-Mo FM 8 escudos
- Spain 1777-Seg 2 maravedis
- 1777-M ½ real
- Spain 1777-M PJ 4 reales
- Spain 1777-S CF 4 reales
- Spain 1777-M PJ 2 escudos
- Spain 1777-S CF 4 escudos
- 1777-M ½ escudo
- 1779-M 8 escudos
- Coins and currency dated 1777
- return to Spanish pre-decimal coinage (maravedis, reales and escudos)