Spain 1772-M PJ 2 escudos
This specimen was lot 4229 in Sincona sale 20 (Zurich, October 2014), where it sold for CHF 325 (about US$407 including buyer's fees). The catalog description noted, "2 Escudos 1772. Madrid Mmz. PJ. Sehr schön. (very fine.)" This type was struck in Madrid 1772-85 (KM 417.1) and Seville 1773-79 (KM 417.2) and is not especially rare tho choice specimens are always in demand. Two escudos were struck in metropolitan Spain 1738-1833 in considerable numbers and are quite a bit more common than their counterparts from Latin America, where the two escudos was a rare denomination. Assayer PJ is listed for 1765-81.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 6.77 g, .901 fine gold, .196 troy oz AGW, this specimen 6.67 g.
Catalog reference: KM 417.1, C.T. 351. Fr-286.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón9-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Richter, Jürg, Numismatic Coins & Medals: Auction 20, Zurich: Sincona AG, 2014.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.