Spain 1705-S P 8 escudos
This specimen was lot 21368 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2020), where it sold for $5,040. The catalog description noted, "SPAIN. 8 Escudos, 1705-S P. Seville Mint. Philip V. NGC EF-45. A handsome and well struck example of the type, though slightly uneven, exhibiting a nice bold date and kings name. The surfaces are original displaying rich sunset patina in the protected areas of the obverse while the reverse has a nice mixtures of sunset and flaxen hues in the open areas and the tops of the devices are more of the mellow gold color on side. A lovely representative of the type and very pleasing to the eye sure to see spirited bidding. Ex: Fritz Rudolf Kunker Auction # 117 September 28, 2006 Lot # 5578." This expensive type was struck 1701-19. The other assayer for 1705 is only known with the overdate 1705/3-S M.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.47 g, 0.917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: Cayón-9901, Fr-247; KM-260; Cal-Type 34 # 165.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Orsini, Matt, Richard Ponterio and Kyle Ponterio, The January 2020 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2019.
- 1704-S 8 escudos
- Majorca (1700-46) diner
- Barcelona 1705 croat issued for Philip V
- Barcelona 1705 real issued for the pretender Charles
- 1705-S 8 reales
- 1705-S 4 escudos
- 1708-Seg 8 escudos
- 1712-S 8 escudos
- Coins and currency dated 1705
- return to Spanish pre-decimal coinage (maravedis, reales and escudos)