Spain 1615-S D 2 escudos
This specimen was lot 45 in Sedwick Treasure Auction 27 (Winter Park, FL, May 2020), where it sold for $15,470. The catalog description noted, "Seville, Spain, cob 2 escudos, 1615D, rare, PCGS AU50, ex-Atocha (1622, designated on label). Choice full cross with flat periphery except for the clear date, nearly full crown and shield on obverse with clear assayer to left, hints of luster, very desirable provenance. PCGS #38907417. From the Atocha (1622), with Fisher tag and certificate #A09, also with 1997 division letter hand-signed by Mel Fisher." This type is recorded for 1601, 1611-21 with all dates noted as scarce. Assayers D and V are noted for 1615. It is hammered.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 6.86 g, .917 fine gold, this specimen 6.7 grams.
Catalog reference: Cal-1070; KM-48.3. Cayón-4999.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, vol. 1, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Menzel, Sewall, Cobs, Pieces of Eight and Treasure Coins, New York: The American Numismatic Society, 2004.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Sedwick, Daniel Frank, Augi Garcia and Cori Sedwick Downing, Treasure Auction 27, Winter Park, FL: Daniel Frank Sedwick LLC, 2020.