Spain 1596-S B 2 escudos
This specimen was lot 22716 in Heritage sale 3021 (New York, January 2013), where it sold for $1,292.50. The catalog description noted, "Felipe II gold 2 Escudos 1592 Seville, AU53 NGC. Exceptional example, with full, sharp date, and also nice mintmark. The reverse also displays a nice cross." The 1590's were a period of transition at the Spanish mints as milling machinery was introduced. This specimen is of the older cob style. Two escudos are recorded for Philip II from Segovia, Toledo, Valencia, Zaragoza, Granada, Seville (shown here), Valladolid and Madrid.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 6.77 g, .931 fine gold.
Catalog reference: Cayón-4133, Fr-169, Calico-75.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3021, featuring the Cecil Webster, Richard P. Ariagno and Elizabeth McPhall Charters Collection, Dallas: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2012.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 9th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2017.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.