Spain (1497-1504)-T 2 excelentes Fr-130
This specimen was lot 1097 in Sedwick Treasure Auction 26 (Winter Park, FL, November 2019), where it sold for $10,710. The catalog description noted, "Toledo, Spain, gold double excelente, Ferdinand-Isabel, T to left and cross of five dots flanking shield on reverse, NGC MS 63*, finest and only example in NGC census. Exceptionally broad flan that extends past the outer borders, all details full and choice, devoid of wear and marks, among the finest double excelentes known." This type was struck after 1497 at Burgos, Cuenca, Granada, Seville, Toledo and Valencia. The excelente was nominally equal to a ducat. The Toledo product comes marked with an "T", "M", rosette, cross or five dots (shown here).
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: gold, this specimen 7.01 g.
Catalog reference: CT-96. Cayón-2948.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, vol. 1, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Sedwick, Daniel Frank, Augi Garcia and Cori Sedwick Downing, Treasure Auction 26, Winter Park, FL: Daniel Frank Sedwick LLC, 2019.
- (1497-1504)-G ½ real
- (1497-1504)-S ½ real
- (1497-1504)-B real
- (1497-1504)-S real
- Spain (1479-1504)-S D 4 reales
- (1479-1504)-S D 8 reales
- Spain (1497-1504)-S S 1/2 excelente Fr-150
- Spain (1497-1504)-S excelente Fr-136
- Spain (1497-1504)-T I excelente Fr-137
- Spain (1479-1504)-S 2 excelentes Fr-129
- Coins and currency dated 1497