Sicily 1798-NdOV 12 tari Dav-1424A
"ITALIEN Neapel - Sizilien Ferdinando IV. (I.), 1759-1825. Piastra zu 12 Tari 1798, Palermo. Kl. Schrötlingsf. Sehr schön. (Naples and Sicily, Ferdinand IV, 1759-1825, piastra of twelve tari of 1798, Palermo mint. Slightly porous, very fine.)"Charles II, the last Hapsburg king of Spain, was also king of Naples and Sicily. After his death the area passed out of the hands of the Spanish crown, only to be reconquered by them in the 1730's. Ferdinand IV was the third son of Charles III, king of Spain 1759-88 and the younger brother of Charles IV. This twelve tari (= one piastra) was issued 1797-99.
Recorded mintage: unknown but rare.
Specification: 27.32 g, .833 fine silver, 38-39 mm diameter, this specimen 26.93 g.
Catalog reference: Gig-18, Varesi 603, KM C36, Davenport-1424A.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Davenport, John S., European Crowns, 1700-1800, 2nd Ed., London: Spink & Son, 1964.
- Numismatic Coins, Medals & Banknotes, Auction 11, Zurich: Sincona AG, 2013.