Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach 1901-A 20 mark
This specimen was lot 24774 in Heritage sale 3026 (Long Beach, October 2013), where it sold for $9,400. The catalog description noted, "Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach. Wilhelm Ernst gold 20 Mark 1901-A, Proof 64 DCAM PCGS, highly reflective fields with a strong cameo bust, very rare type in Proof - the first example that we have brought to auction." This and a twenty mark of 1892 are the only gold issues of this tiny state during the Wilhelmine empire.
Recorded mintage: 5,000 plus a few proofs.
Specification: 7.96 g, .900 fine gold, .230 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 216.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Craig, William D., Germanic Coinages: Charlemagne through Wilhelm II, Mountain View, CA: 1954.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3026, World & Ancient Coins, featuring the RLM Collection, Part Two, the Nogales Collection and the Goetz Medals Die Archive, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2013.
- 1896 20 mark
- 1901 2 mark
- Hesse 1901-A 20 mark
- Mecklenburg-Schwerin 1901-A 20 mark
- Oldenburg 1901-A 5 mark
- Prussia 1901-A 5 mark regular issue
- Prussia 1901-A 5 mark bicentennial
- Saxe-Altenburg 1901-A 5 mark
- Saxe-Meiningen 1901-D 5 mark
- 1903 5 mark
- Coins and currency dated 1901
- return to coins of German States, Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach