Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld 1764-ICE thaler Dav-2751B
This specimen was lot 22395 in Stack's Bowers ANA Auction (Denver, CO, August 2017), where it sold for $105.75. The catalog description noted, "GERMANY. Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld. Taler, 1764-ICE. Ernst Friedrich. NGC VF-30. Softly struck near the center on the reverse but well defined overall." The duchy was known as Saxe-Saalfeld until 1735 when the dukes added Coburg to their domain. In 1826, Saalfeld was traded to Saxe-Meiningen in exchange for Gotha and the duchy survived until World War One as Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. This type was issued in 1764 along with the closely related Dav-2751, Dav-2751A, Dav-2751C, Dav-2752 and Dav-2752A, the combined mintage is given below.
Recorded mintage: 21,695 combined.
Specification: 28.06 g, .833 fine silver.
Catalog reference: KM-75; Dav-2751B.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Davenport, John S., German Talers, 1700-1800, 2nd Ed., London: Spink & Son, 1965.
- Craig, William D., Germanic Coinages: Charlemagne through Wilhelm II, Mountain View, CA: 1954.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio and Chris Chatigny, The August 2017 Denver ANA Auction: Ancients, Selections from The Richard Stuart Collection & World Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Reuss-Schleiz 1763-ICE thaler Dav-2640
- Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg 1764 thaler Dav-2722
- Reuss-Ebersdorf 1765-ICE thaler Dav-2642
- Saxony 1764-IFoF thaler Dav-2680a
- Saxony 1764-EDC thaler Dav-2681
- Reuss-Schleiz 1764-ICE thaler Dav-2641
- Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld 1765-ICE thaler Dav-2752C
- Coins and currency dated 1764
- return to coins of German States, Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld