Sardinia 1859(t) B 20 lire
"ITALY, House of Savoy/Sardinia, Vittorio Emanuele II. 1849-1861. 20 Lire 1859, Turin. Gutes sehr schön. (kingdom of Sardinia, Victor Emanuel II, 1849-61, twenty lire of 1859, Turin mint. Good very fine.)"This type was struck at the Turin and Genoa mints 1850-61 during the reign of Victorio Emanuele II of Italy, while he was merely King of Sardinia (1849-61). It is struck to the same standard as the contemporary French twenty francs. It is, however, reasonably common.
Recorded mintage: 186,640, a common date.
Specification: 6.45 g, .900 fine gold, .186 troy oz AGW, this specimen 6.44 g.
Catalog reference: KM 146.1; Pagani 355. Schl. 289. Fr-1146.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Richter, Jürg, Auction 46, Gold Coins and Medals, Zurich: Sincona AG, 2018.