Sardinia 1850(t) B 20 lire
This specimen was part of lot 6811 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2017), which sold for $1,645. The catalog description noted, "ITALY. Mixed Date 20 Lire, 1847-93. VERY FINE to UNCIRCULATED. Fr-21, 1142, 1146 & 1147. 7 pieces in lot. Mostly from Sardinia, but also includes a choice example from the Kingdom of Italy 1893. Some have been lightly cleaned otherwise problem free. The 1847 is toned and attractive." This type was struck at the Turin and Genoa mints 1850-61 during the reign of Victorio Emanuele II of Italy, while he was merely King of Sardinia (1849-60). It is struck to the same standard as the contemporary French 20 francs. It is, however, reasonably common.
Recorded mintage: 66,286.
Specification: 6.45 grams, .900 fine gold, .186 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Fr-1147, KM 146.1 (formerly KM C-126.2).
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Ponterio, Richard, The January 2017 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Richard Stuart Collection, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2016.