Sardinia 1842(g) P 20 lire
This specimen was lot 6867 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2017), where it sold for $329. The catalog description noted, "ITALY. Sardinia. 20 Lire, 1842-P. Genoa Mint. PCGS AU-58 Secure Holder. Nicely struck and lightly toned around the legend. Ex: Stack's March 20-22, 1985, Lot #381." This type was struck 1832-45 at Turin and Genoa (shown here). Tho not rare, it is much less common than the issues of Victor Emanuel II (1850-60).
Recorded mintage: 66,184.
Specification: 6.45 grams, .900 fine gold, .186 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Fr-1143; KM-131.2; Gig-34; Mont-66.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Ponterio, Richard, The January 2017 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Richard Stuart Collection, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2016.