Sardinia 1840(t) P 20 lire
"ITALY, House of Savoy/Sardinia, Carlo Alberto, 1831-1849. 20 Lire 1840, Turin. Sehr schön. (kingdom of Sardinia, Charles Albert, 1831-49, twenty lire of 1840, Turin mint. Very fine.)"This type was struck 1832-45 at Turin (shown here) and Genoa. Tho not rare, it is much less common than the issues of Victor Emanuel II (1850-60). The Genoa issues are scarcer than the Turin issues even tho the mintages are generally larger.
Recorded mintage: 27,842 including a few 1840/30; a slightly better date.
Specification: 6.45 g, .900 fine gold, .186 troy oz AGW, this specimen 6.41 g.
Catalog reference: KM 131.1; Pagani 191. Schl. 230. Fr-1142.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Richter, Jürg, Auction 46, Gold Coins and Medals, Zurich: Sincona AG, 2018.