Sardinia 1840(t) P 100 lire
This specimen was lot 3750 in Goldberg sale 70 (Los Angeles, September 2012), where it sold for $1,955. The catalog description noted, "Italian States - Sardinia. 100 Lire, 1840-P. Mint mark, Eagle head (Torino). Carlo Alberto, 1831-1849. Head left. Reverse: Crowned arms within wreath. NGC graded AU-50." This type was struck 1832-45 at Turin (shown here) and Genoa and superseded the gold eighty lire of the previous reign. Tho not rare, it is expensive.
Recorded mintage: 2,898.
Specification: 32.25 grams, .900 fine gold, .933 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Fr-1138; KM-C117.2; Pagani-150.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Ira and Larry Goldberg, Goldberg sale 70: The Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles, CA: Goldberg Coins & Collectibles, 2012.