Sardinia 1828(t) P 80 lire
This specimen was lot 40228 in Ponterio sale 168 (Philadelphia, August 2012), where it sold for $4,312.50. The catalog description noted, "ITALY. Sardinia. 80 Lire, 1828-P. NGC AU-55. Eagle head mint mark. Demarete Collection." This type was struck at Turin (shown here) and Genoa 1823-31. While not rare, it is scarce, particularly in nice condition. Mintmaster L is listed as scarcer for 1828 than mintmaster P.
Recorded mintage: 23,000 (mintmaster L and mintmaster P).
Specification: 25.80 grams, .900 fine gold, .746 troy oz AGW, 33 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: Fr-1132; C-108.1; MIR-1032k; Gig-10; Mont-12.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 168: The Official ANA Auction, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2012.