Sardinia 1828(t) L 20 lire
This specimen was lot 25193 in Heritage sale 3026 (Long Beach, October 2013), where it sold for $3,290. The catalog description noted, "Sardinia. Carlo Felice gold 20 Lire 1828-L Eagle, MS64 NGC, fully lustrous and most attractive, an exceptionally high grade example and a very scarce type in this pleasing quality." This type was struck at Turin (shown here) and Genoa 1821-31. While not rare, it is scarce, particularly in nice condition. Mintmaster L is listed as more common for 1828 than mintmaster P.
Recorded mintage: 94,915 (mintmaster L and mintmaster P).
Specification: 6.45 grams, .900 fine gold, .186 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 118.1, Fr-1136.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3026, World & Ancient Coins, featuring the RLM Collection, Part Two, the Nogales Collection and the Goetz Medals Die Archive, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2013.