Sardinia 1824(t) L 80 lire
"Carlo Felice, 1821-1831 80 Lire 1824. Torino. Vorzüglich-FDC. (kingdom of Sardinia, Charles Felix, 1821-31, eighty lire of 1824, Extremely fine-uncirculated.)"This type was struck at Turin (shown here) and Genoa 1823-31 and all dates are rare, altho the 1824 eighty lire from Turin is more available than the twenty lire of the same date. While France was striking twenty and forty francs in gold, Sardinia seems to be the only state which used the eighty lire. The denomination was dropped in 1832 for the hundred lire.
Recorded mintage: 5,919.
Specification: 25.80 grams, .900 fine gold, .746 troy oz AGW, 33 mm diameter, this specimen 25.77 g.
Catalog reference: Nomisma 522. Schl. 136, Fr-1133, KM 123.1.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Jürg Richter, Auction 38, Gold Coins and Medals, Zurich: Sincona AG, 2017.