Russia 1894-SP 2 kopeks
This specimen was lot 25388 in Heritage sale 3024 (Chicago, April 2013), where it sold for $2,350. The catalog description noted, "Alexander III Proof 2 Kopeks 1894 СПБ, Crowned double-headed Imperial eagle / Date and value, Proof 64 Brown NGC. Ex: Falz-Fein Collection. Deep chocolate-brown toning with mirrored fields and bold devices. Rare." This type is listed for 1867-1914. The nineteenth century dates are scarce in nice condition but the later dates are common with, of course, the exception of the proofs.
Recorded mintage: 8,600,000.
Specification: 6.6 g, copper.
Catalog reference: Bitkin 176, Brekke 49, KM-Y10.2.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3024, featuring the Kairos and Elizabeth McPhall Charters Collections, Dallas: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2013.
- Bitkin, Vladimir, Composite Catalogue of Russian Coins, Part II (1740-1917), Kiev: Moneta, 2003.
- Brekke, B. F., The Copper Coinage of Imperial Russia, 1700-1917, New York, Galerie des Monnaies, 1977, with 1987 supplement.
- Harris, Robert P., Guidebook of Russian Coins, 1725 to 1970, Santa Cruz, CA: Bonanza Press, 1971.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.