Russia 1887-SP 2 kopeks
This specimen was lot 43932 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2019), where it sold for $1,200. The catalog description noted, "RUSSIA. 2 Kopek, 1887-CNB. PCGS MS-65 RB Gold Shield. Boldly detailed with attractive color and eye catching gloss in the fields." This type is listed for 1867-1914. The nineteenth century dates are scarce in nice condition but the later dates are common with, of course, the exception of the proofs.
Recorded mintage: 1,725,000, a somewhat better date.
Specification: 6.6 g, copper.
Catalog reference: KM-Y10.2; Bit-169.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bitkin, Vladimir, Composite Catalogue of Russian Coins, Part II (1740-1917), Kiev: Moneta, 2003.
- Brekke, B. F., The Copper Coinage of Imperial Russia, 1700-1917, New York, Galerie des Monnaies, 1977, with 1987 supplement.
- Harris, Robert P., Guidebook of Russian Coins, 1725 to 1970, Santa Cruz, CA: Bonanza Press, 1971.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, Matt Orsini and Cris Chatigny, The January 2019 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.