Russia 1861-BM denga
This specimen was lot 7194 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2017), where it sold for $176.25. The catalog description noted, "RUSSIA. Denga, 1861-BM. Warsaw Mint. PCGS AU-55 BN Secure Holder. Appealing mahogany hue." This type was struck 1861-63 at Warsaw, which struck dengas 1850-63. A denga equaled half a kopek.
Recorded mintage: 2,819,000.
Specification: 4 g, copper.
Catalog reference: KM-Y2.4; Bit-492.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Bitkin, Vladimir, Composite Catalogue of Russian Coins, Part II (1740-1917), Kiev: Moneta, 2003.
- Brekke, B. F., The Copper Coinage of Imperial Russia, 1700-1917, New York, Galerie des Monnaies, 1977, with 1987 supplement.
- Harris, Robert P., Guidebook of Russian Coins, 1725 to 1970, Santa Cruz, CA: Bonanza Press, 1971.
- Ponterio, Richard, The January 2017 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Richard Stuart Collection, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2016.