Russia 1851-SP PA 5 kopeks
The first specimen was lot 23548 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2020), where it sold for $192. The catalog description noted, "RUSSIA. 5 Kopeks, 1851-CNB NA. Nicholas I. NGC MS-65. A Gem toned in blue, brown and green over hard flashy surfaces. An eye catching survivor worthy of a premium bid." The second specimen was lot 34698 in Heritage sale 3082 (New York, January 2020), where it sold for $312. The catalog description noted, "Russia: Nicholas I 5 Kopecks 1850 CΠБ-ПA MS66 NGC, St. Petersburg mint. A fully gem minor featuring a prooflike reverse." This type was struck 1832-58 and this is a common date. Copper five kopeks were struck in Ekaterinburg (1851-EM) and Warsaw (1851-BM).
Recorded mintage: 1,000,000.
Specification: 1.03 g, 0.868 fine silver.
Catalog reference: KM C-163; Bit-409.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Bitkin, Vladimir, Composite Catalogue of Russian Coins, Part II (1740-1917), Kiev: Moneta, 2003.
- Harris, Robert P., Guidebook of Russian Coins, 1725 to 1970, Santa Cruz, CA: Bonanza Press, 1971.
- Orsini, Matt, Richard Ponterio and Kyle Ponterio, The January 2020 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2019.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and Sam Spiegel, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Online Auction 3082, featuring the Caranett Collection, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2019.