Russia 1851-EM 1/4 kopek
This specimen was lot 71459 in Stack's Bowers Collector's Choice sale (Santa Ana, CA, May 2018), where it sold for $312. The catalog description noted, "RUSSIA. Polushka (1/4 Kopek), 1851 EM. Ekaterinburg Mint. PCGS MS-63 BN Secure Holder. 1851/0 overdate. Attractive dark brown patina with hints of red around the devices." This type was struck 1850-55 at Ekaterinburg (shown here) and also Warsaw (mintmark BM) 1850-53. The Ekaterinburg mint made polushkas until 1876.
Recorded mintage: 7,776,000.
Specification: 3 g, copper.
Catalog reference: C-147.1; Bit-622.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bitkin, Vladimir, Composite Catalogue of Russian Coins, Part II (1740-1917), Kiev: Moneta, 2003.
- Brekke, B. F., The Copper Coinage of Imperial Russia, 1700-1917, New York, Galerie des Monnaies, 1977, with 1987 supplement.
- Harris, Robert P., Guidebook of Russian Coins, 1725 to 1970, Santa Cruz, CA: Bonanza Press, 1971.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio and Chris Chatigny, The May 2018 Collector's Choice Sale, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.