Russia 1851-BM 3 kopeks
This specimen was lot 31569 in Heritage sale 3064 (Chicago, April 2018), where it sold for $2,040. The catalog description noted, "Nicholas I 3 Kopecks 1851-BM MS63 Red and Brown NGC, Warsaw mint. A stunning example with copper-brown coloring atop both sides and substantial luster that gleams from the fields. Very minimal handling is noted for the grade, while needle-sharp detailing throughout the illustrations that readily entertains the viewer. Rarely offered as a type, particular[ly] in a choice level of certification." This type was struck at Warsaw (shown here) and at Ekaterinburg (KM C151.1, much more common) 1850-59.
Recorded mintage: 100,000.
Catalog reference: KM-C151.3.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach and Warren Tucker, Heritage World Coin Auction 3064, featuring the Doug Robins Collection of Canadian Tokens, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2018.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bitkin, Vladimir, Composite Catalogue of Russian Coins, Part II (1740-1917), Kiev: Moneta, 2003.
- Brekke, B. F., The Copper Coinage of Imperial Russia, 1700-1917, New York, Galerie des Monnaies, 1977, with 1987 supplement.
- Harris, Robert P., Guidebook of Russian Coins, 1725 to 1970, Santa Cruz, CA: Bonanza Press, 1971.