Russia 1851-BM 2 kopeks
This specimen was lot 680 in Sincona sale 12 (Zurich, October 2013), where it sold for 4,000 CHF (about US$5,174 including buyer's fees). The catalog description noted, "Nicholas I, 1796-1855, 2 Kopecks 1851, Warsaw Mint. Rare. Old ink marks. Choice uncirculated and nice." The type was struck 1850-55 at Warsaw (shown here), St. Petersburg and Ekaterinburg. The SCWC does not price this type in uncirculated but this specimen realized fifty times the catalog value in Extremely Fine.
Recorded mintage: 797,000.
Specification: 4 g, copper, this specimen 10.26 g(?).
Catalog reference: Bitkin 861 (R). GM 36.16, KM-C150.3.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bitkin, Vladimir, Composite Catalogue of Russian Coins, Part II (1740-1917), Kiev: Moneta, 2003.
- Brekke, B. F., The Copper Coinage of Imperial Russia, 1700-1917, New York, Galerie des Monnaies, 1977, with 1987 supplement.
- Harris, Robert P., Guidebook of Russian Coins, 1725 to 1970, Santa Cruz, CA: Bonanza Press, 1971.
- Auktion 12: the SINCONA Collection, part 2, Zurich: Sincona AG, 2013.