Russia 1849-SP AG 5 rubles
This specimen was lot 33637 in Heritage sale 3073 (Chicago, April 2019), where it sold for $1,080. The catalog description noted, "Nicholas I gold 5 Roubles 1849 CПБ-AГ MS61 ANACS, St. Petersburg mint. Sparkling luster with a near-flawless strike and light imperfections." This type is listed for 1846-54 and is fairly common in circulated condition. In 1886, the standard was revised to match the French twenty francs d'or, resulting in a weight reduction to .186 troy oz.
Recorded mintage: 3,100,000.
Specification: 6.54 g, .917 fine gold, .192 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Fr-155, KM-C175.3, Bit-31.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 9th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2017.
- Bitkin, Vladimir, Composite Catalogue of Russian Coins, Part II (1740-1917), Kiev: Moneta, 2003.
- Harris, Robert P., Guidebook of Russian Coins, 1725 to 1970, Santa Cruz, CA: Bonanza Press, 1971.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano and Warren Tucker, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3073, featuring the Lake County Collection of British coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2019.