Russia 1844-SP KB ruble Dav-283
"RUSSIE, Nicolas Ier (1825-1855), AR rouble, 1844Kb, Saint-Pétersbourg. Petits coups. Belle patine. Très Beau à Superbe. (empire of Russia, Nicholas I, 1825-55, silver ruble of 1844, Very Fine - Extremely Fine.)"This type was struck 1832-58 in large quantities but is today very rare in nice condition. An 1844/3 overdate is noted. The preceding type (Dav-282) is very similar but with a "wings down" eagle.
Recorded mintage: 2,933,000 plus a few proofs.
Specification: 20.73 g, .868 fine silver.
Catalog reference: KM C-168.1; Bit-142, Dav-283; Uzd. 1622.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Bitkin, Vladimir, Composite Catalogue of Russian Coins, Part II (1740-1917), Kiev: Moneta, 2003.
- Harris, Robert P., Guidebook of Russian Coins, 1725 to 1970, Santa Cruz, CA: Bonanza Press, 1971.
- Davenport, John S., European Crowns and Talers, Since 1800, 2nd Ed., London: Spink & Son, 1964.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 169: The November 2012 Baltimore Auction, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers, LLC, 2012.
- Elsen, Philippe, et al., Vente Publique 144, Brussels: Jean Elsen et ses Fils S.A., 2020.