Russia 1840-SP 2 kopeks
This specimen was lot 31568 in Heritage sale 3064 (Chicago, April 2018), where it sold for $1,860. The catalog description noted, "Nicholas I Proof Novodel 2 Kopecks 1840-СПБ PR63+ Red and Brown NGC, St. Petersburg mint. With an enchanting palette of cabernet, burnt sienna, and chocolate brown, this exquisitely choice example exudes tremendous eye-appeal and is fully worthy of its 'plus' designation." This type was struck at several mints: KM C145.1 struck at Ekaterinburg 1840-44, KM C145.2 struck at St. Petersburg 1840-41; KM C145.3 struck at St. Petersburg 1840-43; KM C145.4 struck at Kolyvan 1839-47; KM C145.5 struck at Warsaw 1848 only.
Recorded mintage: 4,800,000 (including KM C145.3?).
Catalog reference: KM C145.2 (regular issue), KM Pn105 (pattern), KM N948 (novodel), Bit-H932.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach and Warren Tucker, Heritage World Coin Auction 3064, featuring the Doug Robins Collection of Canadian Tokens, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2018.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Bitkin, Vladimir, Composite Catalogue of Russian Coins, Part II (1740-1917), Kiev: Moneta, 2003.
- Brekke, B. F., The Copper Coinage of Imperial Russia, 1700-1917, New York, Galerie des Monnaies, 1977, with 1987 supplement.
- Harris, Robert P., Guidebook of Russian Coins, 1725 to 1970, Santa Cruz, CA: Bonanza Press, 1971.