Russia 1831-SP PD 5 rubles
This specimen was lot 40350 in Ponterio sale 168 (Philadelphia, August 2012), where it sold for $2,174. The catalog description noted, "RUSSIA. 5 Rubles, 1831-CNB NA. NGC EF Details--Scratches. Short scratches at 3 o'clock and 6 o'clock obverse." This type was struck 1826-31 for tsar Nicholas I and is scarce.
Recorded mintage: 846,000 (highest mintage date).
Specification: 6.54 g, .917 fine gold, .192 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Fr-154; C-174; Bit-6; Sev-408.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Bitkin, Vladimir, Composite Catalogue of Russian Coins, Part II (1740-1917), Kiev: Moneta, 2003.
- Harris, Robert P., Guidebook of Russian Coins, 1725 to 1970, Santa Cruz, CA: Bonanza Press, 1971.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 168: The Official ANA Auction, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2012.