Russia 1830-SP NG ruble Dav-282
This specimen was lot 23180 in Stack's Bowers ANA Auction (Denver, CO, August 2017), where it sold for $1,821.25. The catalog description noted, "RUSSIA. Ruble, 1830-CNB HT. PCGS MS-62 Secure Holder. Long Ribbon variety. Good strike with attractive luster." This type was struck 1826-31 in reasonable quantities but is today very rare in nice condition. The preceding type (Dav-281) is very similar but with a "wings up" eagle. The incumbent mintmaster was Nikolai Grachev, whose initials we have transliterated as "NG" rather than the "HT" noted in the auction description.
Recorded mintage: 6,010,000 including 1830/2 overdate.
Specification: 20.73 g, .868 fine silver.
Catalog reference: Bitkin 109, KM C161, Dav-282.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Davenport, John S., European Crowns and Talers, Since 1800, 2nd Ed., London: Spink & Son, 1964.
- Bitkin, Vladimir, Composite Catalogue of Russian Coins, Part II (1740-1917), Kiev: Moneta, 2003.
- Harris, Robert P., Guidebook of Russian Coins, 1725 to 1970, Santa Cruz, CA: Bonanza Press, 1971.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio and Chris Chatigny, The August 2017 Denver ANA Auction: Ancients, Selections from The Richard Stuart Collection & World Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.