Russia 1793-SP AK ruble Dav-1686
This specimen was lot 31559 in Heritage sale 3064 (Chicago, April 2018), where it sold for $721.20. The catalog description noted, "Catherine II Rouble 1793 CПБ-AК AU Details (Cleaned) PCGS, St. Petersburg mint. Obv. Crowned, and draped, bust of Catherine I right. Rev. Crowned double-headed eagle holding orb and scepter. Th[e] strike is somewhat flat, as normal for the issue, with abundant luster and minor reverse flan flaws." This type is noted for 1783-96 and is among the common rubles of Catherine II. This date comes with two assayers and is slightly better.
Recorded mintage: 1,124,000.
Specification: 24 g, .750 fine silver.
Catalog reference: KM-C67c, Bit-262; Dav-1686.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Davenport, John S., European Crowns, 1700-1800, 2nd Ed., London: Spink & Son, 1964.
- Bitkin, Vladimir, Composite Catalogue of Russian Coins, Part II (1740-1917), Kiev: Moneta, 2003.
- Harris, Robert P., Guidebook of Russian Coins, 1725 to 1970, Santa Cruz, CA: Bonanza Press, 1971.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach and Warren Tucker, Heritage World Coin Auction 3064, featuring the Doug Robins Collection of Canadian Tokens, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2018.