Russia 1791-SP YA ruble Dav-1686
This specimen was lot 30561 in Heritage sale 3037 (New York, January 2015), where it sold for $2,115. The catalog description noted, "Catherine II Rouble 1791 CПБ-ЯA AU55 NGC, St. Petersburg mint. Obv. Crowned and draped bust right. Rev. Crowned double-headed Imperial eagle with date above. Moderate gray and russet toning over lustrous surfaces. Minor flan flaws with little, if any, actual wear. Very scarce in this condition." This type is listed for 1783-96 and is among the common rubles of Catherine II.
Reported Mintage: 274,000.
Specification: 24 g, .750 fine silver.
Catalog reference: KM C67c, Bitkin-254, Severin-2287, Dav-1686.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Davenport, John S., European Crowns, 1700-1800, 2nd Ed., London: Spink & Son, 1964.
- Bitkin, Vladimir, Composite Catalogue of Russian Coins, Part II (1740-1917), Kiev: Moneta, 2003.
- Harris, Robert P., Guidebook of Russian Coins, 1725 to 1970, Santa Cruz, CA: Bonanza Press, 1971.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3037, featuring the Empire, the Santa Catarina, the Law and the Santa Maria Collections, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2014.