Russia 1778-SP 10 rubles Fr-129b
This specimen was lot 31277 in Heritage sale 3037 (New York, January 2015), where it did not sell. The catalog description noted, "Catherine II gold 10 Roubles 1778 CПБ XF45 PCGS, St. Petersburg mint, Obv. Crowned and draped bust right. Rev. Four crowned, cruciform shields with the date in the angles. A nice strike for the issue, with light haymarking and a single hairline in the right obverse field. A very scarce type." This type was struck 1777-82 and superseded the ten rubles of the Czarina Elizabeth which were 16.59 grams.
Recorded mintage: 84,000.
Specification: 13.08 g, .917 fine gold, .385 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Bitkin-36 (R), Fr-129b Petr. (22 Rub), KM C-79b.
- Bitkin, Vladimir, Composite Catalogue of Russian Coins, Part II (1740-1917), Kiev: Moneta, 2003.
- Harris, Robert P., Guidebook of Russian Coins, 1725 to 1970, Santa Cruz, CA: Bonanza Press, 1971.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3037, featuring the Empire, the Santa Catarina, the Law and the Santa Maria Collections, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2014.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.