Russia 1775-SP 5 rubles Fr-130a
This specimen was lot 31561 in Heritage sale 3064 (Chicago, April 2018), where it sold for $9,000. The catalog description noted, "Catherine II gold 5 Roubles 1775-СПБ AU55 NGC, St. Petersburg mint, Obv. Crowned and draped bust of Catherine right. Rev. Four cruciform shields with date in the angles. Well struck for the issue, with light marks and noticeable remaining luster. A very rare issue and the first example we have offered. The finest of only two examples certified by NGC." This five rubles, tho less rare than those of Elizabeth, is still plenty expensive. It is listed for 1766-77.
Recorded mintage: 10,000.
Specification: 6.54 g, .917 fine gold, .192 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Fr-130a; KM C78a, Bit-71 (R1), Fr-130a.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach and Warren Tucker, Heritage World Coin Auction 3064, featuring the Doug Robins Collection of Canadian Tokens, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2018.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Bitkin, Vladimir, Composite Catalogue of Russian Coins, Part II (1740-1917), Kiev: Moneta, 2003.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Harris, Robert P., Guidebook of Russian Coins, 1725 to 1970, Santa Cruz, CA: Bonanza Press, 1971.