Russia 1775-EM 2 kopeks
This specimen was lot 292 in Sincona sale 19 (Zurich, October 2014), where it sold for CHF 850 (about US$1,065 including buyer's fees). The catalog description noted, "2 Kopecks 1775, Ekaterinburg Mint. Very fine to extremely fine." This type was struck 1763-96 at the Ekaterinburg mint and is today common. The issues for Siberia (KM C4) were 13.1 g but this type is 20.48 g. Copper five and ten kopeks also exist.
Recorded mintage: 2,433,000.
Specification: 20.48 g, copper, this specimen 24.04 g.
Catalog reference: KM C58.3, Bitkin 677. GM 17.14.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Bitkin, Vladimir, Composite Catalogue of Russian Coins, Part II (1740-1917), Kiev: Moneta, 2003.
- Brekke, B. F., The Copper Coinage of Imperial Russia, 1700-1917, New York, Galerie des Monnaies, 1977, with 1987 supplement.
- Harris, Robert P., Guidebook of Russian Coins, 1725 to 1970, Santa Cruz, CA: Bonanza Press, 1971.
- Shiryakov, I. V., and Jürg Richter, The Sincona Collection, Part 3 and Russian Coins & Medals from Other Properties, Zurich: Sincona AG, 2014.