Russia 1768-MMA EI ruble Dav-1684
This specimen was lot 31554 in Heritage sale 3064 (Chicago, April 2018), where it sold for $1,800. The catalog description noted, "Catherine II Rouble 1768 ММД-E AU58 NGC. On the cusp of Mint State, and rather attractive for the issue, with gray toned centers, soft golden peripheries and surfaces that are free of bothersome marks or planchet imperfections." This type, issued 1766-76, is fairly common as is this date. Catherine the Great began life as an obscure German princess but became czarina after the murder of her husband. The rubles of Peter II were about 28 grams but this type is only 24 grams.
Recorded mintage: 491,000 (both assayers). EI = Igor Ivanov.
Specification: 24 g, .750 fine silver.
Catalog reference: KM-C67a.1, Bit-128, Dav-1684.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach and Warren Tucker, Heritage World Coin Auction 3064, featuring the Doug Robins Collection of Canadian Tokens, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2018.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Davenport, John S., European Crowns, 1700-1800, 2nd Ed., London: Spink & Son, 1964.
- Bitkin, Vladimir, Composite Catalogue of Russian Coins, Part II (1740-1917), Kiev: Moneta, 2003.
- Harris, Robert P., Guidebook of Russian Coins, 1725 to 1970, Santa Cruz, CA: Bonanza Press, 1971.