Russia 1757-SP YI ruble Dav-1680
This specimen was lot 22529 in Heritage sale 3021 (New York, January 2013), where it sold for $79,312.50. The catalog description noted, "Seldom Offered 1757 Dassier Rouble. Elizabeth I Dassier Rouble 1757 ЯI, Crowned bust of Elizabeth right / Double-headed Imperial eagle with date above, AU Details, Obverse Repaired, NGC. The strike is a bit soft in Elizabeth's hair, as always seen with this issue. Close examination appears to show evidence of past attempt to smooth a small flan flaw on the shoulder of the bust, but without magnification, one barely notices this indiscretion. An extremely rare, and popular, type." The coinage of Russia of the eighteenth century is a confusing and fascinating subject. Many ruble types were issued only briefly and can be dated even if they don't bear dates. This type seems fairly common as these things go but still elusive and expensive. The rubles of Peter II were about 28 grams but shrank to 20 grams by the end of the reign of Catherine the Great. This type seems to be the rarest of the rubles dated 1757; there are also silver rubles from St. Peterburg and Moscow (Dav-1679, Dav-1681) and a gold ruble.
Recorded mintage: 536,000 (including Dav-1679).
Specification: 25.85 g, .802 fine silver, .666 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: Bitkin 282, Dav-1680, KM C19c.3.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Davenport, John S., European Crowns, 1700-1800, 2nd Ed., London: Spink & Son, 1964.
- Bitkin, Vladimir, Composite Catalogue of Russian Coins, Part II (1740-1917), Kiev: Moneta, 2003.
- Harris, Robert P., Guidebook of Russian Coins, 1725 to 1970, Santa Cruz, CA: Bonanza Press, 1971.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3021, featuring the Cecil Webster, Richard P. Ariagno and Elizabeth McPhall Charters Collection, Dallas: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2012.
- Russia 1756 ruble Fr-116
- Russia 1756 2 rubles Fr-115
- Russia 1757 kopek
- 1757 2 kopeks
- Livonia 1757 4 kopeks
- 1757-СПБ 5 kopeks, silver
- Livonia 1757 24 kopeks
- Livonia 1757 96 kopeks
- 1757-ϹПБ ruble, regular issue
- Russia 1757-SP 10 rubles Fr-122
- 1758-ϹПБ ruble
- Coins and currency dated 1757
- return to coins of Russia