Russia 1756-SP IM ruble Dav-1679
This specimen was lot 30548 in Heritage sale 3037 (New York, January 2015), where it sold for $1,880. The catalog description noted, "Elizabeth Rouble 1756 СПБ-IM AU58 NGC, St. Petersburg mint, AU58 NGC. Lightly toned, with considerable remaining mint luster and a few light marks. Obv. Crowned bust right. Rev. Crowned double-headed Imperial eagle with orb and scepter. A nice example of the "Scott" Rouble type." Collecting Russian coins is made more confusing by the plethora of competing catalog numbering systems. This type is listed for 1754-57. It is not rare but rather expensive in nice condition.
Reported Mintage: 1,944,000 (including mintmaster YI).
Specification: 25.85 g, .802 fine silver.
Catalog reference: KM C19c.2, Bitkin-277, Diakov-397, Dav-1679.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Davenport, John S., European Crowns, 1700-1800, 2nd Ed., London: Spink & Son, 1964.
- Bitkin, Vladimir, Composite Catalogue of Russian Coins, Part II (1740-1917), Kiev: Moneta, 2003.
- Harris, Robert P., Guidebook of Russian Coins, 1725 to 1970, Santa Cruz, CA: Bonanza Press, 1971.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3037, featuring the Empire, the Santa Catarina, the Law and the Santa Maria Collections, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2014.