Russia 1751-SP ruble Dav-1677
The first specimen was lot 5395 in Goldberg sale 69 (Los Angeles, May, 2012), where it sold for $2,127.50. The catalog description  noted, "Russia. Ruble, 1751-SPB. Elizabeth, 1741-1762. Toned. NGC graded AU-55." The second specimen was lot 1595 in Ponterio sale 182 (New York, January 2014), where it sold for $12,925. The catalog description noted, "RUSSIA. Ruble, 1751-CNB. NGC MS-63. Exceptional Quality Elizabeth Ruble Elizabeth (1741-61). A stellar example, bright and lustrous. Highest certified by NGC." The third specimen was lot 33605 in Heritage sale 3073 (Chicago, April 2019), where it sold for $432. The catalog description noted, "Elizabeth Rouble 1751 СПБ-IM XF45 PCGS, St. Petersburg mint. Traces of mint luster beneath mottled gray toning with only light marks." This type was struck 1743-51 and is rather expensive in nice condition. Later in 1751, assayers' initials were added to the coin and the revised type (KM C19b.5) was struck until 1757 at St. Petersburg (shown here) and Moscow.
Recorded mintage: 835,000 (all varieties).
Specification: 25.85 g, .802 fine silver, .666 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: Bitkin 1st ed-174; Dav-1677; KM C19B.4, Bit-315.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Davenport, John S., European Crowns, 1700-1800, 2nd Ed., London: Spink & Son, 1964.
- Bitkin, Vladimir, Composite Catalogue of Russian Coins, Part II (1740-1917), Kiev: Moneta, 2003.
- Harris, Robert P., Guidebook of Russian Coins, 1725 to 1970, Santa Cruz, CA: Bonanza Press, 1971.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, Stephen Harvey and Paul Rynearson, Goldberg sale 69: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Ancient and World Coins, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2012.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 182: The January 2014 NYINC Auction: World Coins, Irvine, CA: Stacks Bowers LLC.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano and Warren Tucker, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3073, featuring the Lake County Collection of British coins, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2019.