Russia 1746-SP ruble Dav-1677
This specimen was lot 31542 in Heritage sale 3035 (Long Beach, September 2014), where it sold for $1,292.50. The catalog description noted, "Elizabeth Rouble 1746 C.П.Б AU53 NGC, St. Petersburg mint. Obv. Crowned bust right. Rev. Crowned double-headed Imperial eagle with date and value. Light rubbing on the high points, with slightly porous obverse surfaces. The gray and russet toning is deep, and mottled, with underlying luster." This type was issued from St. Petersburg (shown here) and Moscow 1742-51 and is fairly common tho not cheap.
Recorded mintage: 781,000.
Specification: 25.85 g, .802 fine silver.
Catalog reference: Dav-1677; KM C-19b.4; Bitkin-261, UZD-0802.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Davenport, John S., European Crowns, 1700-1800, 2nd Ed., London: Spink & Son, 1964.
- Bitkin, Vladimir, Composite Catalogue of Russian Coins, Part II (1740-1917), Kiev: Moneta, 2003.
- Harris, Robert P., Guidebook of Russian Coins, 1725 to 1970, Santa Cruz, CA: Bonanza Press, 1971.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, and Warren Tucker, Heritage Signature Auction 3035, World and Ancient Coins, featuring the FoxLair Collection and the Law Collection, Dallas: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2014.