Russia 1735 ruble Dav-1673
This specimen was lot 4423 in Goldberg sale 80 (Los Angeles, June 2014), where it sold for $8,460. The catalog description noted, "Russia. Ruble, 1735. Anna, 1730-1740. A lovely mint state example with original mint bloom and attractive steel gray tone. Rare this nice. NGC graded MS-62." Collecting Russian coins is made more confusing by the plethora of competing catalog numbering systems. This type is listed for 1734-37. It is not rare but rather expensive in nice condition.
Recorded mintage: unknown but scarce.
Specification: 25.85 g, .802 fine silver, .666 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: Bitkin 1st ed-39, Dav-1673; KM-197.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Davenport, John S., European Crowns, 1700-1800, 2nd Ed., London: Spink & Son, 1964.
- Harris, Robert P., Guidebook of Russian Coins, 1725 to 1970, Santa Cruz, CA: Bonanza Press, 1971.
- Bitkin, Vladimir, Composite Catalogue of Russian Coins, Part II (1740-1917), Kiev: Moneta, 2003.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, Aleeza Brown, Yifu Che, Frank Draskovic and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg Sale 80: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2014.