Roman Republic 1849-R 40 baiocchi
This specimen was lot 3105 in Goldberg sale 98 (Los Angeles, June 2017), where it did not sell. The catalog description noted, "Italian States: Roman Republic. 40 Baiocchi, 1849-R. Value within beaded circle. Reverse: Eagle within wreath. Sharply struck with original mint fresh luster and great eye appeal. Difficult to locate in top grades. NGC graded MS-61. WINGS." The Roman Republic was a short lived state set up in the Papal States during the European wide insurrections of 1848-49. It was crushed by foreign troops and papal rule restored until 1870. A considerable quantity of copper coins were issued along with a few silver in denominations ranging from half to forty baiocchi.
Recorded mintage: 126,000.
Specification: 20 g, .200 fine silver, 35 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: Pagani-339 (R); KM-27, Mont-59, Ber-3296.
- Berman, Allen G., Papal Coins, South Salem, NY: Attic Books, 1991.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, John Lavender, Yifu Che, Jason Villareal and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg Sale 98: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2017.
- 1849-R baiocco
- Roman Republic 1849-B 3 baiocchi all varieties
- Roman Republic 1849-R 3 baiocchi all varieties
- Roman Republic 1849-R 4 baiocchi, billon
- Roman Republic 1849-R 8 baiocchi
- Roman Republic 1849-R 16 baiocchi
- Papal States 1849-R 5 baiocchi KM-1346
- 1849-B 20 baiocchi
- Coins and currency dated 1849
- return to coins of the Papal States