Regensburg (1745-50) thaler Dav-2617
This specimen was lot 696 in Stacks-Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2015), where it sold for $4,406.25. The catalog description noted, "GERMANY. Regensburg. Taler, ND (1745-50). NGC MS-63. Struck in the name of Franz I of Austria. Dark iridescent toning. Nice strike and very attractive. From the Rockaway Collection." This silver thaler was minted in the free city of Regensburg sometime before 1750. It is one of a series of city view thalers issued 1737-62; the obverse features the bust of Francis of Lorraine, Holy Roman Emperor and husband of Maria Theresia of Austria.
Recorded mintage: unknown but somewhat scarce.
Catalog reference: Dav-2617; KM-318.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Davenport, John S., German Talers, 1700-1800, 2nd Ed., London: Spink & Son, 1965.
- Craig, William D., Germanic Coinages: Charlemagne through Wilhelm II, Mountain View, CA: 1954.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio Sale 173: The January NYINC 2013 Auction, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2012.
- Regensburg (1745-50)-ICB 15 kreuzer
- Regensburg (1740) thaler Dav-2613
- Regensburg (1742-45) ducat Fr-2515
- (1745-50) 15 kreuzer
- (1745-50) half thaler
- (1745-50) quarter ducat
- (1745-50) half ducat
- (1745-50) ducat
- (1745-50) triple ducat
- Regensburg 1754-ICB thaler Dav-2618B
- Coins and currency dated 1745
- return to coins of German States, Regensburg