Ragusa 1746 tallero Dav-1637
"DALMATIE, RAGUSE, AR tallero rettorale, 1746, Droit: B. cuirassé à gauche du recteur de la République de Raguse. Revers: Cartouche orné aux armes de la ville et couronné, posé sur un sceptre et une épée en sautoir. Trace de bélière. Très Beau. (Ragusa, silver tallero of 1746. Obverse: armored bust of the doge of the republic of Ragusa; obverse: crowned ornate arms of the town charged on a scepter and sword. Trace of mounting, very fine.)"This coin is an example of a type struck 1743-48 for the Republic of Ragusa, a Christian enclave on the eastern coast of the Adriatic Sea. At the time, it was an independent city-state surrounded and protected by the Ottoman Empire, which ruled most of the Balkans. Ragusa was occupied by French troops in 1805 and annexed by Austria in 1814. The SCWC doesn't give its exact specification but it is roughly equal to contemporary German talers.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 28.06 g, .833 fine silver, this specimen 28.00 g.
Catalog reference: KM 17, Dav-1637, Schnee, 1091.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Davenport, John S., European Crowns, 1700-1800, 2nd Ed., London: Spink & Son, 1964.
- Elsen, Philippe, Vente Publique 117: Collection Jean-Jacques Symoens, Brussels: Jean Elsen et ses fils, S.A., 2013.