Puebla 1813 real
This specimen was lot 43507 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2019), where it sold for $504. The catalog description noted, "MEXICO. War of Independence. Puebla. Zacatlan. Real, 1813. NGC VF-30 BN. Copper. Issued by General Osorno. Unevenly struck from crude dies. A surprisingly well preserved example with smooth surfaces and attractive chocolate patina. Far nicer than normally encountered where most examples are grainy or have other significant defects. Sure to see spirited bidding to find a new home." Zacatlan, in the state of Puebla, was the headquarters of the insurgent leader José Francisco Osorno, who is completely forgotten save for this series of copper half, one and two reales struck 1813.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Catalog reference: KM-252.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, Matt Orsini and Cris Chatigny, The January 2019 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.
- Oaxaca 1812 real KM-167 royalist
- 1813-MO ¼ real
- 1813-MO ½ real
- Oaxaca 1813 1/2 real KM-220.2 Morelos SUD
- Oaxaca 1813 1/2 real KM-221 Morelos
- Mexico (1813) 1/2 real KM-271.1 Osorno c/m
- Tierra Caliente 1813 1/2 real KM-243
- Congreso Americano (1813) real
- 1813-D real
- 1813-MO real
- Oaxaca 1813 real KM-223
- Chilpancingo (1813-15) 2 reales KM-257.2 c/m on a cast 2 reales
- 1813-MO JJ 2 reales
- 1813-MO TH 2 reales
- Mexico 1813 2 reales KM-212 Supreme National Congress
- Mexico 1813 4 reales KM-214 Supreme National Congress
- Chilpancingo (1813-15) 4 reales c/m on a cast 4 reales
- Chilpancingo (1813-15) 8 reales KM-258.3 c/m on a cast 8 reales
- 1813-CA 8 reales
- 1813-GA 8 reales
- 1813-MO HJ 8 reales
- 1813-MO JJ 8 reales
- 1813-GA 8 escudos
- Coins and currency dated 1813
- return to Mexican colonial coinage, 1536-1822