Prussia 1831-A 2 friedrichs d'or
"Friedrich Wilhelm III. 1797-1840. Doppelter Friedrichs d'or 1831. Gutes sehr schön," (double friedrichs d'or, good very fine).The second specimen was lot 2296 in Sincona sale 51 (Zurich, October 2018), where it sold for 2,000 CHF (about US$2,413 including buyer's fees). The catalog description noted,
"Friedrich Wilhelm III. 1797-1840. 2 Friedrichs dor 1831 A, Berlin. Vorzüglich-FDC. Minimale Kratzer. (Germany, kingdom of Prussia, Frederick William III, 1797-1840, double frederick d'or of 1831, Berlin mint. Extremely fine-uncirculated. Tiny scratches.)"This type was struck in Berlin 1825-40 and is listed in the SCWC as a "frederick d'or." The last double friedrichs d'or was struck in 1855 (KM 470) and was replaced by the gold krone (KM 492, struck 1861-70), which contained about 70/83 of the gold in the previous denomination. The gold krone was in turn superseded by the gold twenty mark of the German Empire. The gold double friedrichs d'or was worth about 3½ ducats. See Denmark 1866-HC 2 christians d'or for a similar coin from Denmark.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 13.36 g, .903 fine gold, the first specimen 13.33 g, the second specimen 13.28 g.
Catalog reference: Olding 215. D.S. 161. Fr-2428, KM 416.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Richter, Jurg, Sincona Auction 51: Gold and Silver Coins and Medals; Coins and Medals from Switzerland, Zurich: SINCONA AG, 2018.
- Saxony 1817-IGS 10 thaler Fr-2882 = 2 august d'or
- Schaumburg-Lippe 1829-FF 10 thaler Fr-3073
- 1825-A 1/6 thaler
- 1825-A friedrichs d'or
- 1829-A thaler
- Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel 1831-CVC 10 thaler Fr-744
- 1831-A thaler
- 1834-A friedrichs d'or
- 1839-A doppelter friedrichs d'or
- Denmark 1866-HC 2 christians d'or
- Coins and currency dated 1831
- return to coins of German States, Prussia