Portugal 1826 7500 reis
"Portugal. Peca (7,500 Reis), 1826 (Lisbon). Pedro IV, 1826-1828. Laureate head of Pedro right. Reverse: Crowned oval arms of Portugal, all within wreath. A very choice example with a delightful strike, only slight weakness centering over the ear on both sides. Lustrous to matte devices on reflective fields. A few random light marks on the obverse. Very rare. NGC graded MS-64. Pedro was quite a character. Of Portuguese nobility, he was the eldest living son of King John VI and heir apparent to the throne. He sided with the Brazilian revolutionaries against his father, and was named Emperor of Brazil, but demoted in the Portuguese court for his actions. His early actions as emperor indicated he was a dedicated Brazilian nationalist and against the conservative Portuguese court. However, when his father died in Portugal, he renounced his Brazilian throne to become King of Portugal, though soon he would abdicate that throne as well."
This type was struck 1826 and 1828 only. Originally valued at 6400 réis, it was valued upwards to 7500 réis in 1826. The last peca was struck in 1835 during the reign of Maria II; decimal coinage was introduced in 1837.
Recorded mintage: 10,883.
Specification: 14.34 g, .917 gold, .423 troy oz AGW, 31.5 mm diameter; this specimen: 14.29 grams.
Catalog reference: Fr-134; KM 378; Gomez 09.01; Schl.-43.
- Goldberg, Ira, and Larry Goldberg, Goldberg Sale 46: the Millenia Collection, Beverly Hills, CA: Ira and Larry Goldberg Auctioneers, 2008.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Sáez Salgado, Javier, Moedas de Ouro de Portugal, 1185-1889, Lisbon, Numisma Leiloes, 2001.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.